Friday, July 14, 2006

Verse Twenty

The difference between a formal "yes" and a casual "yeah"--how slight! The difference between knowing the Truth and not knowing it--how great! Must I fear what others fear? Should I fear desolation when there is abundance? Should I fear darkness when that light is shining everywhere? Nonsense! The people of this world are steeped in their merrymaking as if gorging at a great feast or watching the sights of springtime. Yet I sit here, without a sign, staring blank-eyed like a child.

- There is a correlation between fear and frenzied consumption.
- When free of fear, one's desires decrease to a minimum
- Happiness is something that cannot be grasped. It is something to live.
- Grasping for happiness is a desire that brings suffering.

Application: This verse hits to the spiritual core of consumerism. If I desire something to buy that means I am lacking it. The lack of that consumer good causes my unhappiness. This philosophy keeps me from going on a shopping spree. When I do go on a shopping spree, I horde books and CDs. That means my lack of specific information and interesting music cause my unhappiness. Usually that makes me feel shallow inside, especially when it comes to purchasing music. Books can help bring about change. Look at what the Tao Te Ching has done for me.

I am but a guest in this world. While others rush about to get things done, I accept what is offered. Oh, my mind is like that of a fool, aloof to the clamor of life around me. Everyone seems so bright and alive with the sharp distinctions of day. I appear dark and dull with the blending of differences by night.

- The light that burns brightest dies quickest.
- The desire to appear bright and alive is an individual goal, seperate from unity.
- Letting go of appearing unique aids in becoming closer to others, bonding relationships.
- The paradox of conformity of the West

Application: This part of verse 20 sparked a chain reaction of ideas in my mind. It reminds me of the difference between my desire to become independent between the ages of 16 and 20, and my spiritual quest at the present moment. Most teenagers strive for a unique identity. Not only are they gaining independence from their parents, but they are trying to make their (immature) mark in the world. I think this striving for uniqueness in me faded sometime between Beloit College and Japan. Perhaps it was the bonding of new friendships that caused it--acceptance. Now I think I'm unique enough and I get tired of standing out in a crowd, especially with my lifestyle. Although this "standing out" maintains my youth. But how long should I maintain it? What's the purpose of holding onto one's youth? I'm beginning to think that is foolish. I don't care if I act or look young. I hope I regret nothing when I reach the age of mid-life crisis.

I am drifting like an ocean, floating like the high winds. Everyone is so rooted in this world, yet I have no place to rest my head. Indeed I am different...I have no treasure but the Eternal Mother. I have found no food but what comes from her breast.

- Clinging to identity and "home" is the desire of the individual
- One must free the self from all that ties one to this physical world
- God provides

Application: This part of verse 20 is a lot like the teachings of Jesus. All that is really important in the world is love (relationships) and trust in God (no worries). Everything we own serves no spiritual purpose. Our possessions bind us to the physical world of desire. Every place we call home should have no special meaning. Our hometown binds us to tribal thinking of us versus them, when us and them are in fact one.

No comments: