Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Verse Twenty-two

"Surrender brings perfection." The crooked become straight. The empty become full. The worn become new. Have little and gain much, have much and be confused.

- When at a low point, progress is on your side
- Without expectations, your life will be fulfilled
- Too many choices confuse the mind

Application: This is difficult to do in times of anxiety. I had this really tested for about four months. The more that time drags on, the more anxiety builds. What I need to learn is to not worry even if it takes years. Everything works out anyway. What caused me anxiety is an unknown picture of the future. Once I know where I am headed, my anxiety decreases. How can I stop being worried about the future at a point when all routine has stopped?

So the Sage embraces the One and becomes a model for the world. Without showing himself, he shines forth. Without promoting himself, he is distinguished. Without claiming reward, he gains endless merit. Without seeking glory, his glory endures.

- When with unity, one doesn't need to reward the individual
- One was already blessed when with Unity
- Individual desires just pulls one away from Unity

Application: If you do what you're supposed to do, then that alone is the reward. This is hard to conceive in a society where all work is paid with money. The whole world expects to be paid. I have to ask myself, "What work would I do for free?" It would have to be work that benefits my community. I imagine most people would answer the same. Politics cannot interfere with this goal, and that's the trouble with the world we live in.

The Sage knows how to follow so he comes to command. He does not compete so no one under Heaven can compete with him.

- Having the humble point of view gives a leader trust
- Transcending competitions leaves competitors baffled
- Only individuals can compete because in unity you compete with yourself

Application: I don't like most competitions. What I like about sports is getting together, but once competition becomes serious I want out. It's not because I "can't handle the pressure." It's because it's stupid. I don't understand the urge to demonstrate defeating someone in order to show off one's superiority. When I am in a competitive situation, I try to take the seriousness out of it. Nobody's #1 forever. Competition just shows how fleeting one's individuality is.

The ancient saying, "Surrender brings perfection" is not just empty words. Truly, surrender brings perfection and perfection brings the whole universe.

- Surrender your individuality and then all you have is unity
- Unity is perfection and the universe

Application: This is the answer to competition--don't compete. Oh, how I disappoint so many when I give up in a competition. I think the only competition I actively engage in is the race for a good job. If only I could give up the rat race and laugh at the money grubbers. That type of competition really strains my life. It strains at everyone's life. It keeps the world the way it is. Are you happy with it?

No comments: