Thursday, July 27, 2006

Verse Twenty-seven

A knower of the Truth travels without leaving a trace, speaks without causing harm, gives without keeping an account. The door he shuts, though having no lock, cannot be opened. The knot he ties, though using no cord, cannot be undone.

- Traveling from one life to the next, one cannot bring his individuality
- Once beyond the realm of individuals, one cannot return physically or mentally
- One cannot keep anything beyond this world

Application: I cannot say I have spoken without causing harm or given without keeping an account. Both are difficult to stop. A solution to speaking without causing harm can be found with a famous Sufi quote, "Speak to those according to their understanding." There is no need for shocking statements. Giving without keeping an account contradicts our modern society, but it can be done easily. I've only done it once or twice, but it's hard not to expect something. As for my outlook on life beyond death, I agree with what is stated.

The Sage is always on the side of virtue, so everyone around him prospers. He is always on the side of truth, so everything around him is fulfilled.

- When following the Tao, everything works out

Application: This is a very general statement. For me to claim to be always on the side of virtue and truth would be preposterous. What I can say is that when I am virtuous and truthful, things around me do prosper and become fulfilled. My problem is the "always" condition.

The path of the Sage is called "The Path of Illumination." He who gives himself to this path is like a block of wood that gives itself to the chisel--Cut by cut it is honed to perfection.

- Don't control your destiny, let your destiny control you
- Let life take you where it may; the journey will be more enjoyable
- The wisdom of Unity supercedes the wisdom of one individual

Application: During the past few months, I have seen this to be true. The more I try to control my destiny, the more struggles I encounter. But when I give up the driver's seat to the unified consciousness, then I end up in a good place--sometimes somewhere I would have never expected. It's like riding a wave.

Only a student who gives himself can receive the master's gift. If you think otherwise, despite your knowledge, you have blundered.

- Be in the moment of servitude when in need
- Do not aggressively pursue your goal--serve your goal

Application: I also realized this in the recent past. This is a psychological change when pursuing a need or goal. Instead of chasing it head on, I should think of it as service. Humility may achieve the goal that aggression cannot. I have found this to relieve the mental anxiety from false responsibility. False responsibility is perceiving responsibility for something you do not have.

Giving and receiving are one. This is called, "The great wonder, the essential mystery, the very heart of all that is true."

- This is another cycle like unity and individuality
- One cannot occur without the other

Application: Almost all religions have written about this: when one gives, one will receive. When one receives, when will give either voluntarily or involuntarily. Nature has its way of giving and taking. You can see this everywhere. So when I receive something, I expect to give something in return. And when I give something, I know something will come my way either directly or indirectly. I shouldn't demand something in return because it's not my decision to make.

No comments: