Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Verse Fifteen

The masters of this ancient path are mysterious and profound. Their inner state baffles our inquiry. Their depths go beyond all knowing. Thus, despite every effort, we can only tell of their outer signs--Deliberate, as if treading over the stones of a winter broke. Watchful, as if meeting danger on all sides. Reverent, as if receiving an honored guest. Selfless, like a melting block of ice. Pure, like an uncarved block of wood. Accepting, like an open valley.

- Sages can only be identified through their individual appearances
- There is a lot more to a sage than meets the eye
- The appearance is calm and unmoving as if a tree, at peace in its place

Application: If I find someone at peace in their place, then I know I have spotted someone who knows a bit of universal truth. I like this part of 15 because it makes me view all trees as sages. Perhaps we become like trees when we reach enlightenment, if you believe in enlightenment. Perhaps trees are step ahead of us. Maybe the food chain is the reverse of the spirit chain--just a thought. I don't see this verse as a prescription of becoming a sage because that is not my goal. One should always seek to perfect oneself and not worry about transforming into a sage.

Through the course of Nature muddy water becomes clear. Through the unfolding of life man reaches perfection. Through sustained activity that supreme rest is naturally found.

- Undisturbed time heals all wounds
- Nothing needs to be forced to reach its solution
- One just needs to complete the task at hand and not worry about the future

Application: This part of verse 15 promotes the development of a skill, an important Taoist concept. Perfecting a task through repetition, patience, and lack of anxiety is a common Taoist goal. While the body is busy with the task, the mind can enter the trance-like state of higher consciousness/unity. I enjoy completing a task well without thinking about it. When it is finished, I snap out of the trance feeling good because the task was effortless finished and my mind was not strained by the stress of fears and desires.

Those who have the Tao want nothing else. Though seemingly empty, they are ever full. Though seemingly old, they are beyond the reach of birth and death.

- Being content with nothing is all that one needs
- No desire means no suffering
- One has everything only when one has nothing

Application: I agree that I am the happiest when I want nothing. When I want nothing, my complete focus is on the present. The present is my present. This is a struggle when I do want something, and the more desperate I want it, the worse I feel, and my complete focus is on the unpredictable outcomes of the future. The mind races and races and doesn't stop because the desire doesn't end. Once that desire is gone and not replaced with another desire, then I can again feel at peace.

No comments: