Monday, July 24, 2006

Verse Twenty-five

Something formless, complete in itself. There before Heaven and Earth. Tranquil, vast, standing alone, unchanging. It provides for all things yet cannot be exhausted. It is the mother of the universe. I do not know its name so I call it "Tao." Forced to name it further, I call it "The greatness of all things," "The end of all endings." I call it "That which is beyond the beyond," "That to which all things return."

- Unity is described here.
- It is the space that connects all individuals.
- Without it, the universe would collapse.

Application: There's not much to act upon a description. What is described here is close to my own concept of God.

From Tao comes all greatness--It makes Heaven great. It makes Earth great. It makes man great. Mankind depends on the laws of the Earth. Earth depends on the laws of Heaven. Heaven depends on the laws of Tao. But Tao itself depends on itself alone, supremely free, self-so, it rests in its own nature.

- Civil laws only apply to humanity.
- Science laws only apply to individual perception.
- Interconnectivity applies to unity and that why Tao only needs itself.
- Tao is the universal law.

Application: Here I discovered the limits of politics and science, one serving humanity and one serving the physical world. But there is more than that and that's where philosophy, spirituality, or religion come in. Almost all sacred texts describe their own universal law. Here is the Tao Te Ching, which has a freeing and open message. Knowing this leaves me content. I believe there is more to the universe than humanity and the physical realm. I'm afraid many people do not. But if people are left to think things over and meditate, I believe they will find more if they can get over the fear of nothingness.

No comments: