Friday, July 07, 2006

Verse Sixteen

Become totally empty. Quiet the restlessness of the mind. Only then will you witness everything unfolding from emptiness. See all things flourish and dance in endless variation. And once again merge back into perfect emptiness--their true repose, their true nature. Emerging, flourishing, dissolving back again--This is the eternal process of return.

- When the mind is full of worry and tension, the path grows obscure
- One can only clearly observe one's place when one's mind is at peace

Application: Verse 16 is a call for meditation. There are all sorts of meditation from Hinduism to Buddhism to the contemplative prayer in Christianity. Another reason Taoism appeals to me is its take on meditation. Like almost everybody else, I don't do it enough. I can blame distractions, but that's only half true because I can get away from them half the time.

To know this process brings enlightenment. To miss this process brings disaster.

- A mind unquieted may throw one off his/her path.

Application: This happened to me a few months ago where I let worries and anxiety get to me that I could not focus on anything else and it may have cost me a few opportunities I could have had if I had a clearer, more peaceful mind. I have to learn to let go of my worries even though I feel like it is my responsibility to worry. I should feel carefree even though many things depend on what is to come soon.

Be still. Stillness reveals the secrets of eternity. Eternity embraces the all-possible. The all-possible leads to vision of oneness. A vision of oneness brings about universal love. Universal love supports the great truth of Nature. The great truth of Nature is Tao.

- This is the message found through meditation.
- The answer is always available when you let things go.

Application: This part of verse 16 probably summarizes "the truth" revealed to me through the Tao Te Ching and meditation. When I read this part, I nodded my head in whole-hearted agreement. This is it! If only others would get into this, then perhaps we could reach a unified goal of peace. But we all know that selfish individualism gets in the way.

Whoever knows this truth lives forever. The body may perish, deeds may be forgotten. But he who has Tao has all eternity.

- Time ceases but one continues beyond time
- The individual existence is necessary for the perception of time
- When the body dies, time is no longer perceived or needed
- This is how meditation can breach the infinite

Application: What originally brought me into the meditation that revealed Taoism to me was contemplating my own mortality. That's when I realized what is written in verse 16. I was comforted to discover that an entire philosophy/religion had also come to the same conclusion I did. And this origin of thought wasn't too far from where I was living at the time. This really removed all worries from me. I think the hardest thing for all people to do is let go of their individuality--confronting death. When you realize what is written in verse 16, then the fear of death or God's judgment subsides.

No comments: