Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Verse Thirty

Those who rule in accordance with Tao do not use force against the world. For that which is forced is likely to return-- Where armies settle, Nature offers nothing but briars and thorns. After a great battle has been fought, the land is cursed, the crops fail, the Earth lies stripped of its motherhood.

- For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
- There is no such thing as total victory because there is always a loss.
- In war, one not only fights his enemies but also nature.

Application: I found my beliefs reinforced with this pacifist statement. I am in total agreement about this anti-war sentiment.

A knower of Truth does what is called for then stops. He uses his strength but does not force things. In the same way, complete your task, seek no reward, make no claims. Without faltering, fully choose to do what you must do. This is to live without forcing, to overcome without conquering.

- One should do what is needed without expectations.
- A goal can be reached without dwelling on it.
- Forcing a situation does not improve the outcome.

Application: This part of verse 30 I have found to be difficult to apply as my mind is often future-focused. I feel as if not much is going on in the present so I focus on and anticipate the future. This type of mindset helps only when I am at task. Presently I am not at task, so this type of mindset either does nothing or hinders my goal. I must work harder to appreciate the fact that there is no task at hand.

Things that gain a place by force will flourish for a time but then fade away. They are not in keeping with Tao. Whatever is not in keeping with Tao will come to an early end.

- Individual effort yields temporary results.
- What is right needs not be enforced.

Application: This is kind of an anarchist statement. What is natural and good will take place regardless of our individual effort. As individuals, we should assist this natural process as opposed to enforcing it. Because our life is temporary so are our efforts. If we do things in accordance with the Tao or Unity which is permanent, then our efforts aid permanence.

No comments: