Monday, August 14, 2006

Verse Thirty-six

Contraction pulls at that which extends too far. Weakness pulls at that which strengthens too much. Ruin pulls at that which rises too high. Loss pulls at that which you fill it with too much stuff.

- What goes up must come down.
- Moderation is better than excess.
- Too much of anything is never good.

Application: For some things, I am good at practicing moderation. But for others, I go to extremes like worrying about work or only drinking water. I believe I should avoid addictive things because they only lead you to extreme consumption. With everything else I should practice moderation. This leads me to question if anxiety is addictive.

The lesson here is called "The wisdom of obscurity" -- the gentle outlast the strong, the obscure outlast the obvious. Hence, a fish that ventures from deep water is soon snagged by a net. A country that reveals its strength is soon conquered by an enemy.

- Aggressive individuals burn out faster.
- Those that do not attract attention last longer.
- To live long requires quiet passivity.

Application: I do not have a desire to live long nor do I desire to live short. In many situations, I try to remain passive or obscure. But I am in a career that demands attention from students and peers. I have to find a balance in which I do not seek attention but can remain respected with passive authority. Hmm...

No comments: