Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Gimme That Old Time Chinese Religion

Which one--Taoism, Buddhism, or Confucianism?

I've met many people who ask me, "What is Taoism?" or "What's the difference between Taoism and Buddhism?" The first question cannot be answered simply and the answer to the second question can partially answer the first question. Reading Benjamin Hoff's The Tao of Pooh is the best way to approach these answers. Here is a link to those who want AnswerExpress: http://www.taoism.net/sanctuary/books/vintaste.htm.

When it comes to Buddhism, I agree to and accept its major tenets. The hierarchy and structure of Buddhism is what I do not have patience for. Of course, the school of Buddhism I am drawn to the most is Zen. Tao+Buddha=Zen. I like to follow the path set by nature and not some human no matter how wise he or she be.

When it comes to Confucianism, all those rules based on relationships cramp my style. Although I must say Confucius was a genius. We must thank him for inventing Chinese cuisine among many other things. I equate the rules of Confucius with the Ten Commandments in the way that they have affected multiple cultures for thousands of years.

Yes, I am content with the philosophy of Taoism. And I have made up my stubborn mind. Can this stubborn mind act like water? What a contradiction! Wu wei.

Sorry no dada.

No comments: