Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Joys of Skepticism

You may ask, "Isn't being a skeptic mean that you are critical and doubtful all the time?" I may answer, "No," and I do answer "No." Being a skeptic or practicing skepticism is actually quite fun because I can analyze topics that I have always interested me. But I can look at these topics rationally instead of ignorantly. It's time for the list-maker to make a list, an abridged version from the Skeptic's Dictionary.

Topics That Interest Jeremy
* means I completely lost interest after becoming a skeptic
  • ancient astronauts
  • aliens
  • Area 51
  • aromatherapy
  • astral projection
  • astrology
  • Atlantis
  • auras*
  • Bermuda Triangle*
  • biorhythms*
  • chakras
  • channeling
  • chi
  • creationism
  • crop circles
  • crystal skull*
  • doomsday (cults)
  • dreams
  • enneagrams
  • ESP
  • exorcism
  • face on Mars*
  • feng shui
  • firewalking
  • Gurdjieff
  • haunted houses
  • holistic medicine
  • hypnosis
  • invocation
  • intelligent design
  • jinni
  • karma
  • levitation
  • lucid dreaming
  • mediums
  • mind-control
  • multiple personality disorder*
  • near-death experiences
  • Nostradamus*
  • Ouija boards*
  • phrenology
  • placebo effect
  • poltergeists
  • precognition
  • psi
  • psychics
  • psychoanalysis
  • Qi Gong
  • reiki*
  • reincarnation
  • Roswell*
  • Satan
  • Scientology
  • seance
  • sorcery
  • souls
  • spontaneous human combustion
  • synchronicity
  • tarot
  • telekinesis
  • telepathy
  • theosophy
  • Transcendental Meditation*
  • UFOs
  • unconscious mind

1 comment:

Johnna and Fabio said...

Hello Jeremy and Jenevieve! I read your post about The Pelican in Takasaki after being taken to it when I was trying to see if I could find it. It is the best Persian food I've eaten in my life. They had a dessert there I have tried to find since that had pistachios in it. I was teaching English in Japan from 1999-2001 and my Iranian friend brought me there. So neat to find others who also enjoyed it. Wish it were still there! Johnna (and Fabio) Muniz, muniz_fabio5@hotmail.com