Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Philosophy Update

After reading through the excerpts of my philosophy, I can clearly see the dualism that unite and divide humans and myself. Since this is my blog, I'll just go on about myself.

I like dadaism for self-expression and I like Taoism for self-reflection. I see that a balance of self-expression and self-reflection keep one "healthy." If I express myself too much (like on blogs), I may grow to become egocentric--expressing myself only to admire the sound of my own voice or the style of my own writing. On the other hand, if I become too withdrawn due to my excessive self-reflection, I may lose touch with friends and family. Perhaps I would gain enlightenment but it would be at the expense of living in the modern world. I'm beginning to sound as if I'm advocating the middle ground or the "middle way," which is Taoist.

For me to clearly understand Taoism, I look at the pair of opposites, specifically unity and individuality. Unity could be interpreted as the yin (feminine) and individuality could be interpreted as the yang (masculine). Later on, I will try to express my philosophy through my intepretation of the Tao Te Ching.

No comments: