Saturday, January 14, 2006

Oversimplification

Before I begin, let me quip. Shouldn't the word "oversimplification" be simpler to pronounce and spell? It doesn't make sense for it to be such a long word. Will someone please create more suiting word for the concept of oversimplification?

If you read the subtitle of Daodao, it infers that Taoism is animism. That is a misrepresentation or oversimplification. Animism is simply the belief that everything has a spirit or soul. If you're familiar with the Japanese belief of Shinto, it's kind of like that. If you're not but you've seen Spirited Away, it's kind of like the otherworldly bath house full of the spiritual representations of the real animals, vegetables, and minerals of the real world. That is animism, not exactly Taoism.

Taoism is tricky and cannot be explained adequately. Some may say that is pretentious, so I'll try to explain anyway. Animism is the belief that all things have souls. That's partially true for Taoism. But why not we're all part of the same soul. For monotheists, God is in everything! That statement should satisfy most Jews, Christians, and Muslims. But what about the statement, We all are a part of God. That's probably OK as well.
How about the following?

I am God (and so is everyone else).
I have God and God has me.
God is the universe...the universe is what I perceive...I know God.

OVERSIMPLIFICATION!

But I think that's what Taoism is to me. It's so complex that it is simple.
Scientists are now discovering what one person can discover through meditation.
All you Taoists know this already.
Buddhists and New Age people may too.
If you're not Taoist, Buddhist, New Age, or any philosopher, then thank you for reading this far.
I apologize for sounding pretentious, but that's the other side of the coin--DADA!

No comments: